Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Science of Figuring Yourself Out

Roasted salted nuts have a trigger effect on me.  It’s the classic “one is too many and a thousand isn’t enough” problem.  I can’t try one and be satisfied.  If I have one, I will obsess about them until I binge and realize that I have no control over nuts at all.
Carbohydrates have a physical effect on me.  After eating too many carbs at once, it’s no longer a matter of will power or what’s on my food plan.  My body has some sort of blood sugar meltdown.  I eat more carbs for a while, and then I switch to protein.  I eat lots of protein, trying to get my blood sugar restabilized.  No matter what I eat later, after I have that big dose of carbs the rest of the day is shot.  It’s a different feeling from craving a particular food, or being triggered by one food.  It’s a physical thing that happens with my metabolism, especially when I’ve been low-carbing it. 
The important thing for you is that you avoid the shame spiral when you’ve eaten off your food plan. 
You didn’t do anything wrong or bad.  You’re not weak.  You’re doing science about what works for your body and what doesn’t.  Take a step back when you’ve eaten off your food plan, and ask a lot of questions: 
 
– Why did you eat it? 
– Was it emotional, mental, or physical hunger? 
– What feelings were you having when you made the decision to eat it? 
– What happened in your body? 
– What did you then eat later? 
– Was the problem the particular food item, type of food, or quantity? 
– At what points could you have made different choices? 
– How can you make a plan for the future to make different choices?

The other day I was short on sleep and out running errands.  Being short on sleep makes me hungrier and reduces my stores of will power.  It was getting close to time to eat again and I didn’t have another healthy meal with me to start into, so there was a lack of planning in play.  I was feeling virtuous because I’d gotten up early to do something unpleasant, so I had a mental sense of entitlement.  And then I started having the thoughts about “Why can’t I have a bag of Ruffles like a normal person?  I’ll get a small bag.  It’s a snack food, not crack cocaine.”
I got the bag of Ruffles.  400 calories, and 38 grams of carbs.  The carbs were the problem.  After that I ate several protein bars, seeking their 24 grams of carbs.  Then I ate more eggs and cheese than are in my normal food plan, later in the day.  I ended up eating about 1200 calories more than I had planned to for the day.  It wasn’t just that bag of chips.
The analysis is important.  I know I am vulnerable when tired.  I know that there’s a spoiled brat inside me who needs to be reminded that I’m not a normal person, and there are physical things which happen when I have even a small bag of Ruffles.  2 Ruffles – fine.  One Goldfish – no problem.  A bag?  Forget it.  I had gotten a little lax with my advance planning and should have had another meal with me.
These are the things I can control to avoid going off plan in the future.  Try to get enough sleep, even if that vampire novel is very suspenseful.  Have food with me.  Squash the brat.
What are the things you can control to avoid going off your plan?

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I'm never going to be able to eat "normally" or socially again. And then I feel entitled and whiny. Like hey, I'm going camping. Part of the camping experience is s'mores! Why can't I have them?! Then I feel deprived.
    Or..I go out to eat for lunch for business. Or coffee. Or whatever. Nothing is technically on the food plan, so I make substitutions that are okay, but not great. And I have one chip, followed by more, and it goes on and on.
    Life seems like one big special occasion I keep bingeing on until Monday comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with carbs. It just takes me over and what was a pretty intelligentperson becomes a carb seeking machine without conscience.
    I cannot eat sugar at all. Even a little sets me off. Complex carbs are okay as long as they are not cooked with a sugar coating.

    ReplyDelete